Saturday, November 7, 2020

Congratulations President Biden

Biden Wins!

...for now.  You know Trump is going to pull every trick in the book to overturn it.  In fact, he'll spend his last two months in office focused on this one task, while continuing to ignore the pandemic.  That's just who he is - he uses the office of the President to benefit himself, and screw everyone else.  

I'm worried that the next few weeks will be filled with riots and violence, but to be fair, I was worried about that regardless of who won.  This nation is at odds with itself, and I don't know if it's even possible to reconcile.

I don't envy the work Biden has ahead of him.  Fixing Trump's mistakes will likely take up his first year in office.  A lot of rebuilding will need to be done before Biden gets to square one.  

A note to those Republicans who say, "Democrats only whine about the Electoral College when they lose."

I'm a Democrat.  My party won.  We still need to get rid of the Electoral College.  It sucks.  It's an antiquated system held over from a time when we didn't have the technology for a popular vote.

I'm not saying a popular vote is perfect.  But land can't vote.  A state with three people in it shouldn't have more power just because the state's boundaries are wide.  We're electing a president for the entire country, so we shouldn't be looking at state borders at all.  If the majority of the country's population is around the edges, then so be it.  

What we really need is an end to the idea that if you vote third party, you're throwing your vote away.  Some countries use a ranked voting system where you vote for your favorite, second favorite, etc.  So you could put down the Independent as your favorite, then the Democrat as your second favorite, and both votes would still count.  I wish we would do something like that.

In any event, our voting system is broken.  I believe this even when it benefits me.  I hope it is addressed at some point in the next four years.

Anyway, congrats to Biden and Harris.  I hope they are able to heal some of the scars from Trump's reign.

No comments: