Monday, August 2, 2021

An Old Joke


I don't know if the photo above is real or if it's been shopped.  I do know of the church in the picture, and they are certainly crazy enough to make such a sign.  But it doesn't really matter if it's real, I've seen the same sentiment in many other places on the internet, sometimes from my own family.

It reminds me of an old joke.  You've probably heard it, but it seems very fitting right now.

There is a huge rainstorm.  Neighborhoods are evacuated due to flooding.  A man sits on the roof of his house, watching the floodwaters rise.  The water is now halfway up the roof.  Another man rows up in a boat.  "Quick!  Get in!"  

But the homeowner shakes his head.  "I have faith in God, and He will provide."  The man in the boat shrugs his shoulders, but rows away, looking for other survivors.  An hour later, the water is higher than the roof.  The homeowner has to stand up, gripping his chimney for support.  The water is up to his calves.  

Another boat approaches, piloted by an EMT.  The would-be rescuer shouts, "Come on!  Let's get you out of here!"  But the homeowner again refuses.  "I have faith in God, and He will provide."  The EMT shakes his head sadly, but he doesn't have time to argue when there are other people to rescue.  The boat leaves.

An hour later, the water is up to the man's neck.  A helicopter flies overhead, and tosses down a rope ladder.  "Grab on!  We'll lift you to safety!"  But the man refuses yet again.  "No!  I have faith in God!  He will provide!"  The helicopter flies away, looking for more survivors.

The man drowns.  In Heaven, he gets a chance to speak to God.  "Lord," he says, "Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be here with you, but I have a question.  Why didn't you try to save me?"

And God answers, "What do you mean I didn't try to save you?  I sent you two boats and a helicopter!"


No comments: