Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Dream: The Soulless

Some dreams are so good that I dream them more than once, with some variations.  Last night I went to see a Disney/Pixar movie that I had already seen in a previous dream.

It was basically a kid-safe zombie movie, though it was still very scary.  People were being turned into what they called "The Soulless" - bald, pale-skinned, mindless zombies who reminded me of the Darkseekers in 2007's "I Am Legend".  

The Soulless didn't eat people, they just grabbed them and turned them into more Soulless.  The Soulless were afraid of the light.  I don't think it actually damaged them, just caused them pain.  Or maybe light was just too bright, since they could see in the dark.  They would wander around aimlessly in the dark, until they detected a human, then they would converge on them.  

I say the movie was kid-friendly because it was animated, bloodless, and because nobody gets killed.  It ended with someone finding a cure, and everyone changing back to normal.  That said, it was still a very frightening movie due to how it was directed.  Plenty of suspense, lots of jump scares.  The animation reminded me of Onward or Frozen - CGI, and everyone has big, friendly eyes.  Even the Soulless were a little reminiscent of Casper, which dulled some of the scariness.

The theater I saw it in was interesting.  First off, it was absolutely freaking huge, like the kind of auditorium where you'd see a rock concert, with a monstrous IMAX-style screen.  Secondly, while the seating section closest to the screen was fairly standard, the back rows were on an incredibly steep incline, so that it was practically a vertical wall of seats.  No danger of anyone's head being in your way, ever.  

Oh, and the seats were extra wide, like loveseats.  Some people even brought blankets so they could stretch out and relax.  I'll tell you, I'd even be willing to watch Wayne's World 2 again if it was at a theater like this.

Anyway, dreams being what they are, sometimes I was in the movie, and other times I was just watching it.  Or a little of both - I was in the theater watching the movie, but the Soulless were attacking the theater itself.  I didn't get to see much of the movie itself this time, so I'm glad I'd already seen it in a previous dream.

No comments: