Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Quick Quarantine Update 4/7/2020

So I'm writing a lot of blogs, because it's one of the few things I can do while working.  Well, more like I'm finishing old blogs, and starting more that will remain unfinished for a few months.  Seriously, you should see the "drafts" section of my Blogger account.  There are currently 110 unfinished blogs in there, some of which date back to 2009. 

Some of them are just ideas, inspiration for future rants.  Some of them are 90% finished blogs, just waiting for me to do some research I never felt like doing.  And some of them are a single incoherent phrase like "rember the red worm", that I must have written in a hurry.  My past self had a lot of faith that my present self would remember what the hell I was talking about.  Sooner or later I should start deleting the ones I'll never finish.  I mean, if you don't finish a thought after ten years, you probably aren't going to.  But you never know.

As I work, I have the TV on for background noise.  No sense hogging up the streaming bandwidth that I'm already using for work, especially if I can't even see the TV screen.  So antenna TV it is.  It's been a long time since I've watched daytime TV.  We've been cord cutters for over a year now, and I kind of missed broadcast TV.  There's something charming about the randomness of TV stations, showing you what they want to show you instead of retrieving specific videos you request.

Commercials are weird.  I'm seeing the kinds of commercials I used to see when I was younger, before I had cable.  I guess antenna is where all the cheap advertising goes now.  Lots of law firms and "As Seen on TV" products.  Some weirdly specific ones like "Were you sexually assaulted by a Catholic priest as a child?  You might be entitled to compensation."  Oh and there's a hat that shines lasers on your head, supposedly to stimulate hair growth.  It's so obviously a scam, I don't know how it's even legal to show the commercial.

There are two different commercials for devices that clean CPAP machines.  I mean, plenty of people use CPAP machines and I suppose they do need cleaning, but it still strikes me as oddly specific.  It feels like the modern version of all the denture cleaning commercials I saw as a kid.

Working from home makes me feel sort of floaty, like I'm dreaming that I'm at work.  It reminds me of a recurring dream I had back when I worked at Subway.  I was supposed to close at midnight, but I had a rush of customers at 11:50, and it took me until 1 AM to close the place.  Then I went home, and was about to get ready for bed, when there was a knock at the door.  I opened the door and there was a long line of customers.  I turned around and my living room was a Subway, and the never ending rush continued.

What really drives me nuts is that all my neighbors are using this newfound time to get things done in their yards.  I am constantly driven nuts by the sounds of lawnmowers, pressure washers, and whatever the hell the neighbor across the creek is doing.  It sounds like he has a giant motorcycle engine in his back yard, and he runs it for hours at a time.

Anyway, my job's still going fine, neither of us are sick, and we've got groceries.  I hope you're doing well too.

No comments: